Raising Awareness around the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children (CSEC) and Child Sex Trafficking.
An innovative and powerful production highlighting the very serious and emotional issue of child sex traffiking. The production shows how young people, boys and girls, are groomed by adults for the purposes of sexual exploitation using various methods, ensnaring young people and eventually taking complete control and dominating their whole lives. The audience will gain a better understanding of the devastating impact that sexual exploitation has on a young person's life. This is a very useful and innovative way of raising awareness of the issues relating to sexual exploitation and reaching young people, giving them some skills and knowledge to be able to protect themselves from this form of abuse.
– Sheila Taylor, UK National Working Group for Sexually Exploited Children and Young People
‘Kourtney's Choice' is the US adaptation of a hard-hitting Applied Theater Production that has proven highly successful in the UK (under the name 'Chelsea's Choice') in raising awareness of the issues surrounding the Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children and Child Sex Trafficking. In the UK the play has been seen by over 410,000 young people and is also used by a number of police forces, social & health departments, charities and government agencies around the UK as part of their front-line and first-responder training.
The play tells the story of a group of three young American students who discover the diary of a girl called Kourtney. Kourtney was a 15 year old girl who, having fallen out with her friends and family, was approached by a man called TJ. TJ was older, owned a nice car, had his own apartment and treated her like an adult. Unfortunately TJ was not what he seemed to be! Kourtney's story is played out and examined by the three students who, along with their teacher, attempt to understand what happened to Kourtney and how it could have been prevented.
The production can be targeted at three different groups:-
- Young people (aged 12+)
- Parents, carers, teachers & professionals working with young people
- Law Enforcement Agencies
The play has been seen by thousands of young people & hundreds of professionals throughout the UK & has proven highly effective in:-
- Raising Awareness of Healthy Relationships
- Promoting Safe Internet Use
- Identifying Risky Situations
- Raising Awareness of The Grooming Process & the differing forms that it can take
- Raising Awareness of The Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children, Child Sex Trafficking & the differing forms that they can take
- Sign-posting relevant services
For adult audiences it also:-
- Raises Awareness of the warning signs of CSEC and Child Sex Trafficking
- Raises Awareness of the journey that young people may have been on that has resulted in them being exploited – a journey that can all too easily make it seem as though they have ‘made their own choices’ and can leave them not seeing themselves as victims and fighting against any intervention.
Raising young peoples’ awareness of child sex trafficking is key in helping to prevent them from becoming victims of this crime. The drama does this by creatively tackling the issue of child sex trafficking, exploring the different ways that young people can be drawn into abusive relationships and illustrating some of the consequences.
Show Title Kourtney’s Choice
Author Sean McGrath
Producer Mike Hayhurst (Evening Squire)
Running Time 50 mins
Post Show 20 - 30 mins
Get In 1 hr
Get Out 30 mins
Cast/crew Size 5
Performance Space 4m x 4m
Staging Ground Level – End On
Downloads & Links
TJ/Teacher/Jay Alan Trinca
Kourtney/Amy Elizabeth Gilbert
Shawn/Joe Drew Barksdale
Lauren/Steph Devin Nelson