Raising Awareness around Domestic Child Sex Trafficking.
An innovative and powerful production highlighting the very serious and emotional issue of child sex trafficking. The production shows how young people, boys and girls, are groomed by adults for the purposes of sexual exploitation using various methods, ensnaring young people and eventually taking complete control and dominating their whole lives. The audience will gain a better understanding of the devastating impact that sexual exploitation has on a young person's life. This is a very useful and innovative way of raising awareness of the issues relating to sexual exploitation and reaching young people, giving them some skills and knowledge to be able to protect themselves from this form of abuse.
‘Kourtney's Choice' is a hard-hitting Applied Theater Production that is highly effective in raising awareness around the issues surrounding Domestic Child Sex Trafficking in the USA.
The play tells the story of a group of three young students who discover the diary of a girl called Kourtney.
Kourtney was a regular 15 year old American teenager who, having fallen out with her friends and family, was approached by a guy called TJ. TJ was older, owned a nice car, had his own apartment and treated her like an adult. Unfortunately TJ was not what he seemed to be! Kourtney's story is played out and examined by the three students who, along with their teacher, attempt to understand what happened to Kourtney and how it could have been prevented.
The production can be targeted at three different groups:-
- Young people (aged 12+)
- Parents, carers, teachers & professionals working with young people
- Law Enforcement Agencies
The play is highly effective at:-
- Raising awareness of what makes a Healthy/Unhealthy Relationship
- Promoting Safe Internet Use and the dangers of Sexting
- Identifying Risky Situations
- Raising awareness of The Grooming Process & the differing methods that can be used
- Raising awareness of Domestic Child Sex Trafficking & the differing models that it can take
- Sign-posting relevant services
For adult audiences it also:-
- Raises awareness of the warning signs that a young person may be being groomed
- Raises awareness of the journey that a young person may have been on that has resulted in them being exploited – a journey that can all too easily make it seem as though they have ‘made their own choices’ and can leave them not seeing themselves as victims and fighting against any intervention
Raising young peoples’ awareness of child sex trafficking is key in helping to prevent them from becoming victims of this crime. The drama does this by creatively tackling the issue of child sex trafficking, exploring the different ways that young people can be drawn into abusive relationships and illustrating some of the consequences.
Show Title Kourtney’s Choice
Author Sean McGrath
Producer Mike Hayhurst (Evening Squire)
Running Time 50 mins
Post Show 20 - 30 mins
Get In 1 hr
Get Out 30 mins
Cast/crew Size 5
Performance Space 4m x 4m
Staging Ground Level – End On
Downloads & Links